The Difference Between A Traditional Dentist and A Holistic Dentist
Both types of dentists ensure that you have a pain-free visit for your dental treatments. Both will fix your teeth and assist you in preventing gum disease, but there are differences. Although holistic dentistry, also known as biological dentistry, is not a specialty of dentistry, a dentist who practices holistic dentistry has a unique focus and approach to treating the mouth.
A traditional dentist will diagnose, treat, and prevent diseases in the teeth, jaw and mouth. A holistic dentist will do everything a traditional dentist does. In addition, they use non-toxic materials and focus on the link your oral health has to your general health.
Reasons to Switch
1. Holistic dentistry, also known as biological dentistry, uses the safest practices for your body. These dentists consider your diet, lifestyle, environment, past dental treatment, and overall health when evaluating your oral health.
2. Holistic or biological dentists carefully select the dental materials placed in the mouth.
- Amalgam fillings: Amalgam fillings contain mercury. Holistic dentists understand mercury is a toxic material that does not belong in the mouth. They provide strict safety measures to eliminate exposure to mercury when removing amalgam fillings and provide biocompatible options to restore teeth.
- Biocompatible materials. Holistic dentists use filling materials that do not contain mercury, BPA, or fluoride. They also are skilled at using metal free options for crowns and dental implants.
- Alternatives to root canals. If a cavity gets too large, the tooth can become infected. Holistic dentists will be open to discuss alternative root filling materials, or extraction of the tooth followed by a dental implant.
- Fluoride Use. Fluoride is a known endocrine disruptor and neurotoxin which can be absorbed through the tissue lining of the mouth or swallowed during traditional fluoride treatments following a dental cleaning. Consequently, a holistic dentist will not provide traditional fluoride treatments but instead recommend natural alternatives, proper hygiene techniques, and dietary changes to maintain strong teeth.
Here at Health First Dental, we understand the importance of your oral health and the health of your body. We are proud to offer our holistic approach to dentistry and would be happy to answer any questions. If you are looking to switch, contact us today for more information!