Preventing Gum Disease With Lasers
Lasers not only work to reverse the damage of gum disease, but it is an essential tool in prevention. Lasers are a part of every cleaning appointment at Health First Dental.
Periodontal disease is a bacterial infection in the pockets around teeth. Consequently, we now not only treat periodontal disease by removing the build up around the teeth but we are also able to remove the underlying infection with the aid of lasers. This process is called laser decontamination.
Laser decontamination is performed prior to our normal cleaning procedures for the following reasons:
- To reduce or eliminate bacteremias. During the normal cleaning process most patients will have some areas that may bleed. This allows bacteria that are present in all of our mouths to flood into the bloodstream and settle in weakened areas of our bodies such as a damaged heart valve or artificial knee or hip etc. We pre-medicate those patients that we know have a heart condition or artificial joints with antibiotics so that these bacteria can’t cause harm to these areas. The latest research shows that these oral pathogens have now been linked to a number of other diseases such as cardiovascular disease, rheumatoid arthritis, low birth weight babies, diabetes, respiratory illnesses, etc. Needless to say, anything we can do to reduce or eliminate these bacteremias is a positive for our patients.
- To prevent cross contamination of infections in one area of your mouth to other areas. Decontamination minimizes the chance that we may inadvertently pick up bacterial infection in one area of your mouth and move it to others.
- To kill the bacteria responsible for the loss of gum attachment and bone around your teeth.
We are excited to bring this treatment to you and look forward to seeing its benefits to your oral health as well as your general health.
More About Lasers
- How Lasers Heal
- The Science of Laser Therapy
- Safety of Lasers
- Treating Cold Sores with Lasers
- Treating Gum Disease with Lasers
- Preventing Gum Disease with Lasers
- Reversing Gum Disease with Lasers
- Uneven Gums Laser Treatment