Mercury Removal Protocol
Mercury is a deadly poison and is the second most toxic element (after plutonium) known to man.
Dr. Freiberg follows specific protocols designed by researchers to be a safe and effective method of removing mercury (silver amalgam) fillings. If improperly performed, the haphazard removal of mercury fillings can cause more harm than good. During the removal of amalgam fillings, the patient can be exposed to amounts of mercury, which are a thousand times greater than the EPA allowable concentration. Several precautionary steps must be taken to reduce additional mercury absorption.
The standards established by the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology to reduce the risk of mercury exposure are as follows:
- Application of a rubber dam to prevent amalgam debris from being swallowed or inhaled
- Covering the face with a barrier to prevent spattered amalgam particles and mercury vapor from contacting the skin or eyes
- Administration of oxygen
- Use of high volume suction in the operating field
- Use a saliva ejector behind the rubber dam to evacuate mercury vapor that diffuses through the dam.
- Rinse the dam thoroughly as you go to remove stray amalgam particles
- Use copious amounts of water to cool the amalgam and thus reduce the amount of vaporization of mercury
- Sectioning the amalgam fillings into large chunks to reduce the dispersion of amalgam particulate aerosol
- Rinse the mouth thoroughly after removing the rubber dam
- Consider room air purifiers to reduce ambient mercury vapor
More About Mercury Fillings
- What Are Silver Amalgam Fillings?
- Why Is Mercury So Dangerous?
- How Much Mercury am I Getting From My Fillings?
- Health Effects From Mercury in Amalgam Fillings
- The ADA and CDA Position on Mercury Fillings
- Are There Dangers to Replacing Amalgam Fillings?
- Alternatives to Amalgam Fillings
- Mercury Removal Protocol
- Oral Galvanism
- Bibliography of Mercury Topics (Acrobat Reader Required)
Disclaimer: Most dentists are not of the view that mercury amalgam, fluoride, or root canals are potentially harmful to your health.