Health First Dental – Holistic Dentist Calgary
The term biological or holistic dentistry is not a specialty of dentistry but describes a philosophy that can be applied to all facets of a general dental practice. Biological dentistry is the practice of the best elements of conventional dentistry with a focus on the implications oral health has on the entire body.
The essence of biological dentistry is to provide oral health care in a less toxic, more individualized, and more environmentally friendly way. A biological dentist appreciates that the diseases and materials in your mouth can have lasting, negative affects on other systems in your body. Biological dentists also work with other like-minded health care providers to assess the compatibility of dental materials, to provide nutritional support, and, if needed, to provide detoxification from the damaging affects of oral toxins. The biological dentist keeps your whole health in mind—not just the condition of your teeth and mouth.
Some simple ways you can know if your dentist has a biological approach to oral health care are as follows:
A biological dentist:
- Never uses mercury (silver amalgam) fillings
- Follows protective protocols when removing mercury fillings
- Offers biocompatibility testing for dental materials
- Does not use fluoride
- Practices biocompatible gum therapy
- Has equipment to sterilze instruments without toxic chemicals and to prevent waterline biofilms
- Uses digital x-ray technology to significantly reduce the harmful affects of radiation
- Works in conjunction with other allied health professionals (MDs, nauturopaths, nutritionists, etc.)
- Receives continuing education in the field of biological dentistry
Disclaimer: Most dentists are not of the view that mercury amalgam, fluoride, or root canals are harmful to your health.